Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Oh...so close...

Alright, here it is! My No Kiss Blogfest scene! I hope you guys like it as much as I enjoyed writing it! And please feel free to leave any comments about your thoughts on it. :)
And don't forget to check out some of the other scenes here.


     “Stop it, Riley! I’m serious, quit it!” I couldn’t help but giggle a little. Riley continued to shove me sideways with his elbow.
     “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He replied, grin showing in his voice.
     “You’re just mad because this will be my third round in a row to win. I’m just so sorry, Ri, but I’m just that good. I hate that you had to find out this way.”
     As if on cue, Mrs. Parker passed by the door and poked her head inside, “Riley, you’re not letting Alexis beat you too badly, are you?” She asked teasingly.
     “No ma’am, I don’t really have to try that hard to beat him.” I replied with a teasing smile.
     “Oh, trust me, I am perfectly aware of that.” She replied with a wink.
     Riley turned to look at his mom for a moment to mock shock that she would say such a thing. It was a well-known fact that his family was always like this though. The first time I ever came over to his house, I learned this right away and jumped right in. I loved spending time with his family. It had become like a second home for me. In no time at all, Riley and I were inseparable best friends. We had a rather unusual friendship too. Everyone anywhere always thought we were dating because we were always invading each other’s personal bubbles. Or we would be if we had one. Even though we had been best friends for years, his brothers and sisters were still suspicious about us having a secret relationship this whole time. Or that we were just in denial that there was anything there. We finally just decided that we knew the truth, and people could think what they wanted because we weren’t changing how we acted around each other.
     I took my chance while Riley was briefly distracted and sent the turtle shell I’d been holding onto for the longest, aimed at his cart, and let it fly. I bounced up and down on the end of the bed in a happy dance as I passed his wrecked cart and went through the finish line.
     “Yes! Winner and still champion, in your face!” I taunted.
     Mrs. Parker just grinned and shook her head while walking away.
     Riley turned the game off, “Ok, then, something else.” He looked at me sideways, and then suddenly pounced on me. “One, t-”
     I quickly countered and flipped him over, ending up on top of him, pinning him to the bed. “I’m sorry, what was it you were saying? I win?” I asked, grinning widely. As much as he wanted to pretend to hate it, I knew he secretly enjoyed our games. We never really wrestled, we would just occasionally pin each other to the floor for some random reason.
     Suddenly a voice came from the open door, “At least close the door if you’re going to be like that.”
     Riley craned his neck around to look at his younger brother, “Shut up, Jordan!”
     Jordan just rolled his eyes in slight disgust and walked off. He was probably the most convinced that there was something more going on with Riley and I.
     He looked back at me and just shook his head, “That kid can be such a brat.”
     I rolled my eyes in response, then I got an idea and smirked at Riley.
     “What?” He asked suspiciously.
     I leaned down and quickly licked the side of his face to show triumph that I still had him pinned.
     “Ew! Yuck! What was that for?” He asked in bewilderment while heavily wiping the side of his face.
     I laughed while I got off of him and climbed to the head of the bed to sit and lean against the wall. “It’s a moose kiss.” I giggled.
     “Oh, really now? Well then maybe you should get one too.” He said with a teasing look in his eyes.
     I squealed slightly, “No!” I argued as he grabbed me and wrapped his arms around me, holding me hostage as he tried to lick my face back. When I wouldn’t let him, he settled for tickling me.
     “Ok, ok, I give, I give!” I cried between gasps and giggles.
     Riley finally backed off a little, and just looked at me with a victorious grin spread across his face.
     I sat back up against the wall and tried to catch my breath. After a moment, I jerked suddenly, causing Riley to stare at me, “What was that?”
     “I just got a sudden chill.” I replied, folding my arms and hugging myself.
     “Oh, well I can take care of that.” He stated simply, while putting his arms around me, rubbing my arms. “Is that better?”
     “Oh, thanks.” I said while snuggling into him slightly. Riley was always warm, even on the coldest day of the year, he was guaranteed to still be warm.
     I felt tiny goose bumps slowly creep down my arms, and I could tell the hairs were rising on the back of my neck. I looked up at him only to find that he was already staring at me. But it was a different look than I had ever seen on his face-at least when looking at me. I had seen that look a time or two when he was looking into the eyes of someone he truly liked.
     But that couldn’t be right… I argued with myself. And yet, somehow I felt drawn to him. Before I knew it, we were slowly moving toward each other as if some internal gravitational pull were controlling us. And neither one of us seemed to have a problem with that.
     He slowly raised his arm and gently placed his hand on my face. He drew me closer to him until we were mere inches apart. I could feel the heat coming off of his chest. I felt my heart beat quicken to the speed where it was pounding against my chest and I was sure he could hear it. If he did, he didn’t say anything. He just continued to stare into my eyes. And I was suddenly very aware of how much I was breathing into his face. My breath had quickened as well, and I seemed to be taking short deep breaths.
     We stared into each other’s eyes for what seemed like hours, when suddenly, his gaze moved from my eyes to my lips. I knew it was coming then; any second now. If it were even possible, my heart beat felt faster. Without even realizing it, I held my breath then let it out in one long, slow breath. I stared at his eyes, then his lips, then back again to his eyes. I couldn’t help but stare at his lips though. His full lips that looked so kissable. And now barely an inch away.
     It would be so easy to just kiss him already. I’d barely have to move at all.
     So easy, and yet I didn’t dare move. I felt frozen in place.
     Finally, he began to move the last half inch to kiss me, when, “RILEY!!!”
     He let out a heavy sigh, and hung his head, “That would be Lauren. I’m supposed to go tuck her in tonight.”
     “Oh, uh, right. Yeah, go tuck your little sister in. It’s fine.” I replied, feeling like I just tripped over my own words for speaking too fast.
     Riley gave me a barely readable expression that I took for apologetic. Then he left to go see his baby sister. I did love the girl though, cutest little three-year-old.
     As soon as he had left the room, I collapsed on the bed, What just happened?

Well, I hope y'all enjoyed it! And again, feel free to leave a comment below! I look forward to seeing what everyone's thoughts are on it!

          -Liz







20 comments:

  1. Great post! Loved their playfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ho ho. *Girlish giggle* Work on it Liz. Work on that relationship. It's like me and a certain someone, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really now? Well that's funny...I mean...it's not at all like I based it off of any certain couple I know......
      ;)

      Delete
    2. According to the other half of the couple, yes you did young lady. The other half of the couple says, "Take responsibility for your actions."

      Delete
    3. Mhm...sure, sure...hehe
      You know that thing they say about magicians never revealing their secrets? The same applies to writers, hehehehee

      Delete
    4. According to the other half of the couple, "Well...Drew reveals his!"

      Of course then a moment later I had to bring up the point that I don't tell everybody that kind of stuff. It's only people like her and you.

      Then she simply said, "You know...I used to like your writing until I found out you were supposed to be like a magician and you aren't."

      Delete
    5. Of course, of course. But said other half is probably privy to such information as well.

      Like that...

      Hahahahaha....yeahh...sounds like something she'd say.

      Delete
  3. Totally worth the wait! I love the idea of two best friends rough housing...reminds me of some of my guy friends and I when we liked each other and wouldn't admit it. SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That makes me happeh! :D Hehe, it is a bit adorable, no? So glad you liked it, and thank you for hosting it too! :)

      Delete
  4. i love best friends falling in love stories. This scene was great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GAH! The torture! That was so sweet! I love it when BFFs fall in love ! Great job! :) <3

    ~Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Hehe, I worked really hard on it. :)

      Delete
  6. The BFF's falling in love is ALWAYS a fun story. This was really cute!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lizanne! I'm a few days late in checking out the entries for the No-Kiss Blogfest, but late is better than never!

    I think my heart is beating just a little bit faster than before! Love the relationship you set up here! I guess this comes down to the age-old question: Can best friends of the opposite sex be just that -- friends? I admit the moose kiss was a little astonishing LOL. Thanks so much for sharing with us! :)

    ~Wendy Lu

    The Red Angel Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I think my heart beat faster while writing it too... ;)
      And thank you! lol, thankfully, I've been blessed with a few amazing guy best friends. But they're all like brothers to me. :)
      Heheheee....yeah, I was introduced to a real moose kiss recently, so that's where I got it from. But I did tweak their moose kiss just a bit. Have to have that playfulness. ;)
      And thank you so much for reading, and your lovely comments!! :D

      Delete
  8. Best friends finally falling in love is my favorite kind of romance! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry Charity, I somehow missed your comment before! Thank you for the read! I love reading all of the comments here. :)

      Delete